Friday, February 15, 2008



He is one of the greatest poet in human history. One who embraced love and revolution with the same passion. One who offered mankind the only ultimate expression- the expression of love and sacrifice. One who was proposed to be the President of his nation from which he happily withdrew for the greater good and unity of progressive elements in his country. Poet par excellence, arising from the streets of Chile, growing throughout Latin America, Spain and later in to the very consciousness of modern world- Pablo Neruda.
Neruda poems depicts his heart felt love and passion for his nation, its nature, culture and heritage. But he gains his present enjoying position in human mind through his timeless words dedicated to the unambiguous love he had for his fellow men- especially the downtrodden. His words were the best weapon possible, then and now, for the anti-imperialist and antifascist movements not only in his country but also all across the world. He is proclaiming to the proletariat to unite against its suppressors. He tells them to procure strength from the ever rising waves of the sea hitting hard and persistent on the rocks. He stood with the tortured souls shoulder to shoulder and sang their fury out to the rulers-"...We demand punishment......."
Arise to birth with me, my brother.
Give me your hand out of the depths
sown by your sorrows.
You will not return from these stone fastnesses.
You will not emerge from subterranean time.
(canto general)
Even when he was performing his historical role as a motivator and fellow traveller of the proletarian movement, he walked directly into the hearts and souls of all men and women especially youth through his magical poems of love and passion. He sang-

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
Write, for example, 'The night is starry
and the stars are blue and shiver in the distance.'
The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.
Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.
Through nights like this one I held her in my arms.
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.
She loved me, sometimes I loved her too.
How could one not have loved her great still eyes.
Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
Every reader should have a taste of Neruda poems in them as it will take them more towards the Social goodness that humans have procured over time. This Nobel laureate will surely find his place up in the list of men that changed our lives and thought everlastingly.

1 comment:

Spring hair said...

Paranja pole thanne...


Essay[:P]